Prepare a breakfast or dinner in our fully equipped kitchen/dining room
Each morning before families take our Shuttle to the hospital and each evening when they return, volunteers have the opportunity to prepare a hot meal for them. Providing breakfast is a wonderful way to start off your day right and give children the energy they need to face a long day of hospital visits. Dinners are a chance to let them unwind and relax in a family atmosphere. Breakfast and Dinners are an amazing way to connect with families and make a difference in a child’s life.
In the morning, our families are always on the move trying to get to appointments and other necessary commitments. Help them they have a quick, delicious, and hot breakfast! From breakfast burritos to blueberry muffins, come prepare fresh, frozen breakfasts for our families to take with them on busy mornings. This is a great opportunity for individuals or groups! For more information on Breakfast Express, please look over our Breakfast Express Instructions.
With a delicious and nutritious breakfast on the move, Breakfast Bags are a great way for families to start their day! Having an easy meal is the perfect way to keep our families energized throughout their days at the hospitals. The Ronald McDonald House of Maryland will provide the bags and labels, while volunteers gather the contents and assemble the kits! For more information on Breakfast Bags, please look over our Breakfast Bag Manual.
Lunches of Love
Lunches of Love is a great ways for families to enjoy delicious and nutritious meals on the move! Having an easy meal is the perfect way to keep our families energized throughout their days at the hospital. The Ronald McDonald House of Maryland will provide the bags and labels, while volunteers gather the contents and assemble the kits! This is a great opportunity for individuals or groups. For more information on Lunches of Love, please look over our handy Lunches of Love Manual.
Host an Activity Hour at the Ronald McDonald House
Are you good at crafts or maybe leading a game night? Think of the kinds of things you, your family and friends like to do together in your spare time and come share with our guest families. Organizing a night of karaoke, or bingo or special craft nights can help keep little ones busy and often provide parents with a little relaxation. For more information on activity hour, please look over our Helpful Hints for Activity Hour.
Spend one day with your friends or coworkers helping out at the Ronald McDonald House. There are always various projects and parts of the house that need attention. Ongoing needs include deep cleaning and organizing the kitchens, playroom and playground. Seasonally we need help with our Gardens, wrapping gifts, decorating for specific holidays and occasional help with special events.
Sunday Bake Shop
Help our house smell like home by baking up something wonderful in our kitchen. Provide the ingredients, we’ll provide the supplies and cooking space. Bake Shop is held every Sunday of the month from 11:00am-1:00pm.
Each family has a mailbox / cubby that can be stuffed with gifts from our community. It’s such a wonderful treat for the families to see their cubbies filled with goodies when they come back from the hospital—it really brightens their day! Be creative. Think of something you would like to receive or something you would want to send to a loved one. Here are some examples of great cubby stuffers:
- Handmade Gifts—If you’re feeling crafty, make stuffed animals, picture frames, greeting cards or any other creations to brighten up our families’ day.
- Small Gifts—individually wrapped snacks or toiletries always make a great gift!
- Snack Bags—Fill gift / lunch bags with water, juice boxes, chips, fruit snacks, granola bars or other non-perishable food items. Families can take these with them to the hospitals for a mid-day treat!
- Child Activity Bags—Fill gift / lunch bags with crayons, markers, stickers, activity pads, coloring books or other fun activities.
- Adult Goody Bags—Fill gift/lunch bags with pens, pencils, paper, note cards, crossword or other puzzle books, or other gifts just for parents.
- Notes—Write notes of encouragement to the families and children staying at the Ronald McDonald House. Please refrain from any religious messaging. Thank you!
Please keep in mind that all goodies must be new. We encourage volunteers to bring enough items to stuff 55 cubbies.
Help us provide families with a little extra comfort!
- Idea #1: Wrap a new towel set (bath towel, hand towel, face cloth) in a ribbon or a gift bag. Include a note of encouragement.
- Idea #2: Wrap a new bath robe with slippers in a ribbon or gift bag. Include a note of encouragement.
- Idea #3: For winter wrap a hat and gloves or mittens tied with ribbon or in a gift bag. Include a note of encouragement.
- Idea #4: Make a ‘Goodie Bag’ with a variety of candies, gum, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, mints, playing cards, crossword puzzles, pens, etc. Package items neatly and include a note of encouragement.
*PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY TYPE OF MEDICATIONS & ALL ITEMS MUST BE CHILD SAFE*
Give someone a smile! Create a toiletry kit with a personal touch. These kits are placed in each bedroom for families to use during their stay at the house.
To prepare a kit, please use the following guidelines: Kits should be neatly wrapped in transparent wrap and gathered at the top with ribbon, string, or twist tie.
You can include a handwritten note to attach to the bag (Children’s handwriting is also welcomed).
Examples: “Someone Cares for You” or use encouraging words, such as: “Hope” or “Peace.”
- Priority Contents for toiletry kits are (travel sizes only): Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, Bath Soap
- Additional Contents: Mouthwash, Toothbrush/ Toothpaste/Floss, Razor and Shaving Cream, Deodorant, etc.
Snack bags are a great way for our families to enjoy a healthy meal on-the-go! These are great for families to take with them from the houses to the hospital. You may assemble the bags in advance if they include pre-packaged items, or put them together at the houses if they include items like deli meat and cheese. The number you make is up to your group, but we recommend a minimum of 20 and no more than about 50.
Wish List Blitz
Organizing a Wish List donation drive at your workplace or church, or among friends. View the Wish List.
How Your Scout Troop or Youth Group Can Help the Ronald McDonald House
For accessible versions of the documents on this page, please contact Chloe Ring.