Energetic, customer service focused volunteers are needed to staff the Front Desk at the House daily from 8:00 am – 4:00 p.m. These volunteers usually work one 3-4 hour shift per week. Duties include: answering phones and guests’ questions, taking reservations, greeting guests, data entry and giving House tours. They also pitch in wherever they can: cleaning up a spill in the kitchen, tidying the common areas of the House, or sorting donations — whatever it takes to keep the House running smoothly.
In the morning, our families are always on the move trying to get to appointments and other necessary commitments. Help them they have a quick, delicious, and hot breakfast! From breakfast burritos to blueberry muffins, come prepare fresh, frozen breakfasts for our families to take with them on busy mornings. This is a great opportunity for individuals or groups! For more information on Breakfast Express, please look over our Breakfast Express Instructions.
Lunches of Love
Lunches of Love is a great ways for families to enjoy delicious and nutritious meals on the move! Having an easy meal is the perfect way to keep our families energized throughout their days at the hospital. The Ronald McDonald House of Maryland will provide the bags and labels, while volunteers gather the contents and assemble the kits! This is a great opportunity for individuals or groups. For more information on Lunches of Love, please look over our handy Lunches of Love Manual.
Kitchen Hosts / Hostesses
Do you enjoy working in the kitchen? Helping with meal preparation, cleaning, and organization? The Ronald McDonald House Maryland needs several active volunteers to serve as dinner hosts in order to keep our kitchen operating smoothly. Our kitchen is the heart of the House. With 36 families and countless volunteer groups utilizing the kitchen, it requires constant upkeep. We want to ensure the kitchen is a clean, inviting, and usable space for the families. Time Commitment: once a week from 5-7pm. Duties include: Assisting volunteer groups by greeting them upon arrival, orienting them to the kitchen, helping them find supplies, ensuring they receive House tour, etc. They will also need to keep the kitchen clean and organized by ensuring dishes are put away, leftover food is properly labeled, kitchen towels are washed, messes are cleaned up, refrigerators are organized, etc.
Handy Helper Volunteers
Are you handy around the house? Do you enjoy completing minor repair projects and keeping busy? Our House needs active maintenance volunteers willing to tackle a variety of odd jobs and lend a hand where needed.
Host an Activity Hour at the Ronald McDonald House
Are you good at crafts or maybe leading a game night? Think of the kinds of things you, your family and friends like to do together in your spare time and come share with our guest families. Organizing a night of karaoke, or bingo or special craft nights can help keep little ones busy and often provide parents with a little relaxation. For more information on activity hour, please look over our Helpful Hints for Activity Hour.
Sunday Bake Shop
Help our house smell like home by baking up something wonderful in our kitchen. Provide the ingredients, we’ll provide the supplies and cooking space. Bake Shop is held every Sunday of the month from 10:00am-1:00pm.
Each family has a mailbox / cubby that can be stuffed with gifts from our community. It’s such a wonderful treat for the families to see their cubbies filled with goodies when they come back from the hospital—it really brightens their day! Be creative. Think of something you would like to receive or something you would want to send to a loved one. Here are some examples of great cubby stuffers:
- Handmade Gifts—If you’re feeling crafty, make stuffed animals, picture frames, greeting cards or any other creations to brighten up our families’ day.
- Small Gifts—individually wrapped snacks or toiletries always make a great gift!
- Snack Bags—Fill gift / lunch bags with water, juice boxes, chips, fruit snacks, granola bars or other non-perishable food items. Families can take these with them to the hospitals for a mid-day treat!
- Child Activity Bags—Fill gift / lunch bags with crayons, markers, stickers, activity pads, coloring books or other fun activities.
- Adult Goody Bags—Fill gift/lunch bags with pens, pencils, paper, note cards, crossword or other puzzle books, or other gifts just for parents.
- Notes—Write notes of encouragement to the families and children staying at the Ronald McDonald House.
Please keep in mind that all goodies must be new. We encourage volunteers to bring enough items to stuff 55 cubbies.
Help us provide families with a little extra comfort!
- Idea #1: Wrap a new towel set (bath towel, hand towel, face cloth) in a ribbon or a gift bag. Include a note of encouragement.
- Idea #2: Wrap a new bath robe with slippers in a ribbon or gift bag. Include a note of encouragement.
- Idea #3: Make a ‘Goodie Bag’ with a variety of candies, gum, sunscreen, hand sanitizer, mints, playing cards, crossword puzzles, pens, etc. Package items neatly and include a note of encouragement.
*PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY TYPE OF MEDICATIONS & ALL ITEMS MUST BE CHILD SAFE*
Give someone a smile! Create a toiletry kit with a personal touch. These kits are placed in each bedroom for families to use during their stay at the house.
To prepare a kit, please use the following guidelines: Kits should be neatly wrapped in transparent wrap and gathered at the top with ribbon, string, or twist tie.
You can include a handwritten note to attach to the bag (Children’s handwriting is also welcomed).
Examples: “Someone Cares or You” or use encouraging words, such as: “Hope or “Peace.”
- Priority Contents for toiletry kits are (travel sizes only): Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, Bath Soap
- Additional Contents: Mouthwash, Toothbrush/ Toothpaste/Floss, Razor and Shaving Cream, Deodorant, etc.
Share your Talents
Do you have a special talent? Love to entertain? Everyone has something special to offer and we welcome you all-hairstylists, musicians, puppeteers, massage therapists, singers, gardeners, dancers, photographers, yoga instructors and anyone else we missed. Our families LOVE participating in new opportunities! We welcome all new ideas! Chloe at email@example.com to schedule a date on our volunteer calendar.
Great Ideas for your Mitzvah Project
For accessible versions of the documents on this page, please contact Chloe Ring.