Our Current Needs:
- Quaker Instant Oatmeal (Individual Packets)
- Pop-Tarts Breakfast Toaster Pastries
- Fruit Cups (Peaches, Pears, and Mandarin Oranges)
- BelVita Breakfast Biscuits
- StarKist Chunk Light Tuna Pouch
- Canned Chicken Breast
- Campbell’s Chunky Canned Soup
- Velveeta Shells & Cheese, Microwavable
- Bisquik Shake & Pour Buttermilk pancake mix (no large boxes please)
- Hormel Compleats Microwave Meals (no refrigeration needed)
Items we currently do not need (we already have a large stock of these items):
- Coloring Books
- Crayons/Markers/Coloring Pencils
Collect Pull Tabs
Maryland’s only Ronald McDonald House has been collecting aluminum pull-tabs since 1996. Schools, service organizations, churches, businesses and individuals from all over the state and the country collect them for us.
The Groff Family started Kara Cares in mid 2014 as a way for our family to give back after receiving such great care, kindness, understanding, etc while staying at the Children’s House in late 2001. The Children’s House provided a level of protection and comfort that only those who use the facilities can understand.
As a family, we reach out to our networks and spread the word to save the tabs. Of course, people ask why we are saving the tabs and we are able to describe the Ronald McDonald House and how the funds from the tabs are used to put gas in the shuttles. Over the past 18 months, we have watched Kara Cares grow exponentially. In 2015, Mr. Russ Hurd and the Heather Hurd 5k joined forces and their program donated over 60 lbs of the total haul. They have tabs being mailed from all over the country, 9 states in all (for now)!!!